- Had previous paid employment within the equine industry? Locked
- Preferred Countries United Kingdom
- County/State/Region Suffolk, UK
- Job Category Full Time
- Earliest start date 31st August 2017
- Freelance: Business Name Locked
- Freelance: Hourly Rate Locked
- Freelance: are you insured? Locked
- Notice period 1 week
- Best time to call Locked
- Working Couples: Partner's profile reference number Locked
- Live in or out Live out
- Co-habiting? Locked
- Full Postcode if live out (Private) Locked
- Expected Job Level Trainee, Groom
- Animals to bring to a job Locked
- Describe the animal/s you HAVE to bring to the job (if applicable) Locked
- Can drive Car
- Own car? Car
- Height 5’2” / 157cm
- Approximate weight Under 8st / 50.8kg / 112lb
- Total years experience with horses Locked
- Previous paid/work experience Locked
- Future disciplines Family Yard, Foaling, Livery, Riding for the Disabled (RDA), Rescue, Rehabilitation, Riding School, Show Jumping
- Riding Role? Locked
- Nationality British
- Languages spoken Locked
- Qualifications Locked
- Equine Skills exercisehack-out, Muck Out, pull-manetail, Ride, Supervisory Skills, Work with children
- Non-Equine Skills Locked
- Longest time in one job Locked
- Position held in this job Locked
- 2nd longest time in one job Locked
- Position held in this job Locked
- Upload your CV Locked
- Current passport? Locked
- DBS (formerly CRB) or equivalent Locked
- Smoker? Locked
- Image Uploads Locked
Experience with Horses
I first started working around horses on a voluntary basis as part of my Animal care course. I was riding at a local riding school and they offered to help me gain experience, this started in 2014. Since then i was working 1 day a week voluntarily alongside college as well as a part time job in a hotel working in the housekeeping department.
Since then i have continued to volunteer on and off for the next year as i got a different work placement. However, this placement was not equine related and i realised how much i missed it. I am now employed at this riding school part time (2-4 days a week) alongside my housekeeping job.
I have also volunteered at an equine rescue center, working with donkeys, ponies and horses, including ex-race horses. I was working there for approximately 3 months and gained experience with Thoroughbreds.
I am currently working one day a week on a dressage yard and small stud farm. I hack out a 15hh sensible but forward going retired polo horse which resides on this yard, in exchange for yard work. However, this has given me a great opportunity to work with horses from a different discipline as well as gaining experience walking foals, handling young horses and stallions.
Riding experience would include, riding at the riding school for three years, hacking out once a week as well as class lessons once a week at a well established and popular equestrian center called Newton Hall in the heart of Suffolk. This is where i will go on to train for my BHS stage 1 in the next few months. I have also booked for my Riding and Road Safety exam here at the end of August.
My skills would include, ability to carry out all yard duties quickly and efficiently each day (Mucking out, poo picking, filling hay nets, grooming, picking feet, tacking up, sweeping yard, feeding, watering, leading in lessons for beginner riders and pony days, turning out, leading horses in, rugging up, hanging hay nets and dealing with customers)
One of my main skills would be my experience working with children from ages 4 years to teenage years. Supervising them on the yard, around horses and helping to teach the basics in lessons alongside a qualified teacher. I also supervise and work alongside disabled and/or vulnerable adults who ride or help out once a week.
My main strengths would include the motivation and willingness to learn in this industry. Although i may not be the most experienced, i am absolutely willing to learn everything i possibly can to help broaden my knowledge on horses and this industry.
I mostly enjoy the actual grooming side of the job role, as i feel this gives me more of a chance to understand each individual horse, their needs and their preferences. I think that all horses should be treated as an individual, and i thoroughly enjoy learning different horses personalities.
Another strength i feel i have acquired would be the housekeeping role i have kept on for four years. This shows that i am able to hold down a job that can also be used in this industry. I would be happy to take a groom/housekeeper job as i am well experienced in this area.
My requirements do not include accommodation, however that is something that i would be willing to consider for the right job role.
I do not own any pets that would need to come with me.
I am looking more for a trainee job role to ensure i am fully capable of a full groom’s job in the future. I cannot take an apprenticeships due to my age and financial situation.