- Age 24 years
- Date of Birth 15th May 1996
- Had previous paid employment within the equine industry? Locked
- Preferred Countries United Kingdom
- County/State/Region Anywhere
- Job Category Flexible Hours, Freelance, Full Time, Part Time, Permanent, Seasonal, Short Term (Temporary)
- Earliest start date 8th August 2019
- Freelance: Business Name Locked
- Freelance: Hourly Rate Locked
- Freelance: are you insured? Locked
- Notice period 1 week
- Best time to call Locked
- Working Couples: Partner's profile reference number Locked
- Live in or out Live in, Live out
- Co-habiting? Locked
- Full Postcode if live out (Private) Locked
- Expected Job Level Groom/Rider, Sole Charge, Assistant Head Person, Head Person, Home Groom, Stud Groom, Other
- Animals to bring to a job Locked
- Describe the animal/s you HAVE to bring to the job (if applicable) Locked
- Can drive Car, 3.5t
- Own car? Car
- Height 5’3” / 160cm
- Approximate weight 14.5st / 92.1g / 203lb
- Total years experience with horses Locked
- Previous paid/work experience Locked
- Future disciplines Artificial Insemination (AI), College, Dressage, Endurance, P2P, Polo, Riding for the Disabled (RDA), Team Chase, Therapeutic Riding, Western, Working Hunter
- Riding Role? Locked
- Nationality British
- Languages spoken Locked
- Qualifications Locked
- Equine Skills Back/Break, Bandage, Broodmares, Clip, Equine First Aid, Exercise/Hack Out, Foaling/Foal Watch, Lunging, Management Skills, Muck Out, Plait, Pull Mane/Tail, Ride, Rider/Trainer, Sales Preparation, School, Show Turnout, Sole charge, Supervisory Skills, Teach, Work Rider, Work with children, Young Stock Handler
- Non-Equine Skills Locked
- Longest time in one job Locked
- Position held in this job Locked
- 2nd longest time in one job Locked
- Position held in this job Locked
- Upload your CV Locked
- Current passport? Locked
- DBS (formerly CRB) or equivalent Locked
- Smoker? Locked
- Image Uploads Locked
Experience with Horses
I have been riding since the age of 6, and I have worked in a range of disciplines from showjumping to livery, from stud to hunting. I turn out horses to a high standard and take great pride in my work, I love bringing horses back into work and improving their fitness.
I can ride to a fairly good standard but never had the horse or instruction to take it very far, I have owned and bought on a couple of my own horses. I have retrained a few ex race horses and I also had an ex whips horse who I schooled and took him unaffiliated showjumping which I took great joy in seeing them grow and learn! I school well on the flat and I can school over jumps but not much over 80/90cm. (I’ve never been given the opportunity to be trained over this height). I am a calm and quiet rider but I am happy to sit on most horses.
My favourite discipline so far has been hunting and everything that comes with it! I have worked for a family with 6 horses, having sole charge. My duties were to get them fit and ready for hunting season then exercise, feed, muck out, turn out everyday and prep for hunting 3 times a week. I would always get comments on how good my plaiting was and my ability to make a tail gleaming white! The family were also very generous and would sometimes take me hunting with them which was brilliant! It was only flat fox hunting though, I will announce I have no experience with hedge jumping or anything like that!
I also have a fair amount of experience in showjumping grooming, having worked for two different professional show jumping yards and I have also groomed for various friends at shows. As previously stated I take great pride in turning out to a high standard I also have some experience in show grooming, having done a few stay away shows such as arena uk and bicton, but I am more comfortable being a stay at home groom.
I worked all my teenage years at the local riding school and loved watching children and adults alike grow and learn how to become horse riders, duties included bringing in and turning out, grooming and tacking up all the horses and ponies, leading beginners and then washing down and feeding the horses at the end of the day. I absolutely loved this role and I feel like it helped shape who I am as an adult today, I still love people grow and change in life, not necessarily just with horse riding. I still visit sometimes and seeing the girls I lead as young children now helping run the yard or of at racing school or working in other various horsey jobs makes me feel like I did a job well done.
I have also worked on two stud farms, both bred race horses, the first yard I worked in for foaling season and the second one I worked at for yearling prep. Both seasons gave me a great insight into what goes on behind the scenes in the racing world. I also went to tattersalls foals sales as freelance one year which was an amazing experience!
These are the disciplines I have experience in and feel comfortable working in. I would love to try working with polo ponies and eventing aswell, I feel like the hunting and show jumping experience I have would help to wards eventing massively but I would need instruction towards the dressage sector as it’s never been something I’ve had experience in before. I will say I am not necessarily the most graceful rider, I was taught how to stay on a horse more than how to look good on a horse. I feel this is why I love hunting so much.
I am looking for a role that has some riding involved aslongside grooming work too. Wether I ride one or five horses a day I don’t mind! I have sole charge experience and I feel like I did well in that role, I also have a few years manager experience (not in the equine world though) and I would work well in a smallish yard too (around 3-10 staff members).
stay at home groom
working on the flat
working from the ground
Strengths and Weaknesses
• What do you most enjoy about working with horses?
Re-training/bringing horses back into work. Seeing people and horses alike grow and expand in their knowledge.
• Is there anything you’d like to improve?
my posture when riding and my jumping ability.
• Why should employers consider you above any other job seeker?
I am a hard worker and I always bring a smile into the work place. From having worked for so many years at a riding school I take great pride in problem solving and finding ways to keep people and horses alike interested in their learning. I think this sets me apart as I am very nurturing in my work but I also have a fair amount of management experience so I make a firm but fair member or staff.
• What would you like to do or gain in your next job?
More of an insight into which ever discipline I chose to work in next, I feel like I would love to go back into hunting and/or a riding school as this is where I gained the most experience and loved both the roles I worked. I want to improve on my posture and riding capabilities so I am a most desirable employee.
• Do you need accommodation?
Depending on location, but most likely yes.
• Do you have any special requirements for any animals you wish to bring with you?
Nope, but would love to ideally have a dog.
• Do you have any ongoing commitments?
• Do you have any holidays booked that an employer needs to know of?
Hopefully going to Rio for two weeks in February, it’s not booked yet but it is most likely to be booked soon.