- Age 45 years
- Date of Birth 3rd December 1974
- Had previous paid employment within the equine industry? Locked
- Preferred Countries United Kingdom
- County/State/Region Anywhere
- Job Category Permanent, Seasonal
- Earliest start date 16th November 2020
- Freelance: Business Name Locked
- Freelance: Hourly Rate Locked
- Freelance: are you insured? Locked
- Notice period None
- Best time to call Locked
- Working Couples: Partner's profile reference number Locked
- Live in or out Live in
- Co-habiting? Locked
- Full Postcode if live out (Private) Locked
- Expected Job Level Groom/Rider, Part of a Team, Sole Charge, Assistant Head Person, Head Person, Stud Groom, Stud Hand
- Animals to bring to a job Locked
- Describe the animal/s you HAVE to bring to the job (if applicable) Locked
- Can drive Car, Tractor, 3.5t, 7.5t
- Own car? Car
- Height 5’10” / 177cm
- Approximate weight 10.5st / 66.7kg / 147lb
- Total years experience with horses Locked
- Previous paid/work experience Locked
- Future disciplines Foaling, Racing Flat, Racing NH, Stud
- Riding Role? Locked
- Nationality British
- Languages spoken Locked
- Qualifications Locked
- Equine Skills Bandage, Broodmares, Compete, Equine First Aid, Exercise/Hack Out, Foaling/Foal Watch, Long Rein, Lunging, Management Skills, Muck Out, Plait, Pull Mane/Tail, Ride, Sales Preparation, Sole charge, Stallion Handling, Supervisory Skills, Young Stock Handler
- Non-Equine Skills Locked
- Longest time in one job Locked
- Position held in this job Locked
- 2nd longest time in one job Locked
- Position held in this job Locked
- Upload your CV Locked
- Current passport? Locked
- DBS (formerly CRB) or equivalent Locked
- Smoker? Locked
- Image Uploads Locked
Over the years I have worked with horses – both ridden and in hand – in many different spheres including eventing groom, polo groom, trail guide, wrangler, yearling prep, stud hand and latterly stud supervisor. I am a quick learner! I also owned and competed my horse (one day events) for over 28 years so I am a confident and relaxed rider and handler.
I seem to relate particularly well to young and nervous horses and pride myself on being able to build a rapport due to my patient and quiet manner.
In my last position at the National stud I ran my own yard which housed up to 22 mares and foals who came direct from the foaling unit at two to three days old. I was in sole charge of making all the decisions that comes with looking after the wellbeing of all the mares and foals and at the same time organise and teach my team of three to four students, many who had never handled a foal before, in all aspects of horse management and yard duties which included open teasing and handling new born foals.
Key Skills Mares & Foals – Keen eye to spot early signs of illness or injury, administering medications, creating and managing a specialised daily exercise routine for the foals taking individual confirmation into account, overseeing the breeding cycle of the mares by setting up schedules of teasing and liaising with the vet, assisting the farrier, organising the daily vet routine, handling, halter breaking and weaning.
Key Skills Yearling Prep – Handling both colts and fillies, hand walking, lunging, long reining, turning out to a very high standard.
Key Skills General – Running a team, making decisions, prioritising a workload, working under pressure, attention to detail, confident handler both in and out of the saddle, some stallion handling, pulling manes, plaiting and a bit of clipping (although its been a while!).
Horses are my life long passion and I enjoy being around them and watching them grow both mentally and physically with my help. Lately, my work has not involved riding because after losing my own horse three years ago I seemed to lose some of the passion for it but I now find myself wanting to getting back in the saddle and get back to my first love of riding.
I am a friendly person with an outgoing personality and I have good common sense. I work hard and enjoy the physical challenge of working outdoors and under pressure. I have a cool and sensible head which means that I remain calm in a crisis.
Ideally I would like to work either with mares and foals or ride out and I enjoy seasonal work ie. six months on/off. I am 5′ 10″ and weigh 10.5 stone. I have a clean drivers licence and have my own car. I don’t have any pets or ongoing commitments however, I would need accommodation.