- Age 25 years
- Date of Birth 23rd December 1995
- Had previous paid employment within the equine industry? Locked
- Preferred Countries United Kingdom
- County/State/Region Berkshire, UK, Buckinghamshire, UK, Dorset, UK, East Sussex, UK, Essex, UK, Hampshire, UK, Surrey, UK, West Sussex, UK, Wiltshire, UK
- Job Category Full Time, Part Time, Short Term (Temporary)
- Earliest start date 9th November 2020
- Freelance: Business Name Locked
- Freelance: Hourly Rate Locked
- Freelance: are you insured? Locked
- Notice period 0 days, end of short term contract - available from start date specified
- Best time to call Locked
- Working Couples: Partner's profile reference number Locked
- Live in or out Live in, Live out
- Co-habiting? Locked
- Full Postcode if live out (Private) Locked
- Expected Job Level Groom/Rider, Part of a Team, Sole Charge, Head Person, Manager, Home Groom, Competition Groom
- Animals to bring to a job Locked
- Describe the animal/s you HAVE to bring to the job (if applicable) Locked
- Can drive Car
- Own car? Car
- Height 5’3” / 160cm
- Approximate weight Under 8st / 50.8kg / 112lb
- Total years experience with horses Locked
- Previous paid/work experience Locked
- Future disciplines Dressage, Eventing, Livery, Rehabilitation, Show Jumping
- Riding Role? Locked
- Nationality British
- Languages spoken Locked
- Qualifications Locked
- Equine Skills Bandage, Equine First Aid, Exercise/Hack Out, Long Rein, Lunging, Maintenance Skills, Management Skills, Muck Out, Plait, Pull Mane/Tail, Ride, Sales Preparation, Sole charge, Supervisory Skills
- Non-Equine Skills Locked
- Longest time in one job Locked
- Position held in this job Locked
- 2nd longest time in one job Locked
- Position held in this job Locked
- Upload your CV Locked
- Current passport? Locked
- DBS (formerly CRB) or equivalent Locked
- Smoker? Locked
- Image Uploads Locked
Experience with Horses
I’m a professional dressage home groom, having spent the past 3 years working within this sphere. I graduated from Hartpury with a 2:1 in Equestrian Sport Science in 2018. My degree included a range of topics, of which taught me an in depth understanding of equine and human anatomy, exercise physiology, sports medicine, equine rehabilitation and sport psychology to name a few. My focus with my studies was to understand how to support and promote longevity in the equine athlete, performance analysis and improvement, equine sports medicine alongside therapy and rehabilitation, and assessment and development of the human counterpart of the equine-human athletic pair.
During my studies I worked with a behaviourist, rehabilitating ‘dangerous’ horses, predominantly for a life in dressage. Though we believed in a holistic training and approach, thus we included jumping, grid work, pole work and cross country in their normal routine. My role within this job included regular practice of natural horsemanship, lunging, exercising, hacking, competition turnout and grooming alongside all other normal yard responsibilities. Within this role I was responsible for the training of an apprentice, and was regularly responsible for charge of the small team.
Following graduation, I moved to my current employment, a well renowned dressage sales establishment. Within this role I am again responsible for the care of all horses, with semi-regular responsibilities of exercising (ridden) and rehabilitating horses. The horses I ride range from prelim to PSG, where I am competent of riding up to medium, with knowledge of riding the higher levels, just not in an established manner. My main aim when riding these horses is to promote relaxation, harmony and connection. This role requires a highly professional manner with a range of clients, which is practiced on a daily basis. Again I am regularly responsible for a small team when higher authorities are occupied elsewhere or on holiday.
My personal background is rooted in show jumping. My youth was spent working with a ‘rescue’ mare whom I produced up to 1.05m level, and regularly took out cross country schooling and to dressage lessons. During the period myself and my pony where based at Hartpury, my interest in eventing developed. I enjoy taking a holistic approach to all aspects of care and training.
I have recently left full time employment to take on temporary work after being offered the opportunity to work and train with an event rider. Seeking work to continue career progression following the the completion of this contract. Looking for an position within a company which promotes development of employees with a supportive attitude.
Well educated with a (BSc) Hons in Equestrian Sport Science.
A professional, friendly manner, gaining repour with clients and visitors.
Equally happy to work within a team, take charge or use initiative to work alone.
Previously handled stallions, both ridden and ground.
Keen to improve skills.
Dressage competition turn out.
Competent riding nervous, young and nappy horses.
Strengths and Weaknesses
• What do you most enjoy about working with horses?
Watching horses develop, gain confidence and competence is most fullfilling. I enjoy building relationships with the horses I work with, and being able to work with riders or otherwise to construct a beneficial management and training plan for said horses. I also find it pleasurable to be part of an efficient and effective team who share the same vision and ethos for the horses and yard.
• Is there anything you’d like to improve?
I am keen to gain competence in a range of areas. I have been exposed to a range of experiences eg. rehab, behaviour, competition. But am always wanting to learn more and continue my development within a grooming career. Particularly I’d be interesting in competition grooming and riding support.
• Why should employers consider you above any other job seeker?
I am a young, well rounded, well educated, humble, but ambitious candidate. I thrive in an environment where discussion of the horses care and training is promoted, where all voices can be heard. I am keen to learn, believing that the more employees know, the more their worth! I am an adaptable individual, capable of taking responsibility of any accountability whilst upholding a professional and positive attitude.
• What would you like to do or gain in your next job?
I would like to be exposed to a range of experiences, including home skills eg backing, turn out, clipping, alongside the potential for competition grooming. Ideally I’d be able to become a more competent and equipped groom.
I would like to be able to establish my riding further. I am competent on the flat, but would be interested in returning to jumping if support would be provided.
• Do you need accommodation?
If unsuitable to commute from my Southampton base, yes. If accommodation is not provided, support to find suitable accommodation nearby would be required.
• Do you have any special requirements for any animals you wish to bring with you?
• Do you have any ongoing commitments?
• Do you have any holidays booked that an employer needs to know of?
Dates in September (24 &25).