- Age 24 years
- Date of Birth 6th March 1996
- Had previous paid employment within the equine industry? Locked
- Preferred Countries Other
- County/State/Region Anywhere
- Job Category Full Time, Seasonal, Short Term (Temporary)
- Earliest start date 4th January 2021
- Freelance: Business Name Locked
- Freelance: Hourly Rate Locked
- Freelance: are you insured? Locked
- Notice period NA
- Best time to call Locked
- Working Couples: Partner's profile reference number Locked
- Live in or out Live in
- Co-habiting? Locked
- Full Postcode if live out (Private) Locked
- Expected Job Level Groom, Sole Charge, Head Person, Stud Hand
- Animals to bring to a job Locked
- Describe the animal/s you HAVE to bring to the job (if applicable) Locked
- Can drive Car
- Own car? Car
- Height 5’8” / 172cm
- Approximate weight 13st / 82.6kg / 182lb
- Total years experience with horses Locked
- Previous paid/work experience Locked
- Future disciplines Foaling, Rehabilitation, Stud, Therapeutic Riding, Trekking, Western
- Riding Role? Locked
- Nationality British
- Languages spoken Locked
- Qualifications Locked
- Equine Skills Bandage, Broodmares, Equine First Aid, Exercise/Hack Out, Foaling/Foal Watch, Lunging, Maintenance Skills, Management Skills, Muck Out, Pull Mane/Tail, Sales Preparation, Sole charge, Supervisory Skills, Work with children
- Non-Equine Skills Locked
- Longest time in one job Locked
- Position held in this job Locked
- 2nd longest time in one job Locked
- Position held in this job Locked
- Upload your CV Locked
- Current passport? Locked
- DBS (formerly CRB) or equivalent Locked
- Smoker? Locked
- Image Uploads Locked
Experience with Horses
I have just finished working two years as a Stud Hand on a small boutique TB flat stud farm in the North Cotswolds UK
I have a degree in in equine Sciance BSc from the Royal Agricultural University
I completed the Breeding And Stud Managment Course at the National Stud in Newmarket.
I have completed my BHS stage one and two so can ride confidently to this level (flat and jumping)
I am currently Studying for Equine Sports Massage qualification under the College of animal physiotherapy due to complete Autumn 2021.
Right now I am living in Holland woking part time in child care while I plan my next move. I currently look after two girls ages 7 and 9 and they are an absolute delight! I pick them up from school go to the park with them make them dinner etc. The family also have a 10 month old English pointer that I have grown incredibly fond of, I take her to the beach and walks through the park. when the family go away for the weekend I will look after her then too. I love working with children of all ages and had I not gone down the path of an equine degree I think I would have persued a career in child care.
List of general horsemanship skills below:
- Mucking out (shavings and straw)
- Prepping horses for yearling sales (grooming, clipping, pulling, washing, platting, picking out feet etc.)
- Lunging yearlings for sales prep (basic lunging with roller and sometimes side reins)
- Bringing horses to and from the walker/putting horses out in the field
- Putting horses on and starting the walker
- Cleaning walker
- Jet washing stables
- Poop picking fields
- Cleaning water buckets inside and in fields
- Cleaned tack (sales headcollar and some exercise saddles and bridals)
- Helped pack the horse box for traveling to the sales (following a check list and making sure everything is included the night before)
- Harrowing sand school with quad bike
- Holding horses for farrier
- Assisting with vet visits (holding and moving X rays slides, foal injections etc.)
- Administer intramuscular injection
- Fixing fences and MANY miles of Creosoting (painting fences)
All things to do with breading mares and foaling:
- Packing foaling box
- Taking mare and foal temp
- Know signs of colic in a foal
- Know how to deal with rotavirus in foals
- Can spot signs of a healthy and unhealthy foal
- Can lead mare and foal out to paddock
- Can lead mare and foal into stocks
(I could go on but I think iv got most of it across ha ha if there is anything specific you would like to know about please feel free to ask)
Keeping the yard tidy was a top priority at my previous place of work to do this we used a “Billy goat” to hoover up straw, we also pulled weeds, hovered and mopped office floors, cleaned toilets on a rotation, kept office kitchen clean. So am familiar with the duster;)
With regards to my riding ability, my previous job did not offer much riding, I was aloud to take my bosses retired National Hunt horse out hacking around the farm he loved blowing off steam with a gallop across the field and could be a bit awkward sometimes but for the most part was lovely. I rode throughout my two years of university, I rode mostly riding school horses at university and haven’t had the opportunity to jump or do any X country recently but also received lessons for this while at university.
Strengths and Weaknesses
- What do you most enjoy about working with horses?
I absolutely love working with mares and foals. I think foaling is the most magical time of year!
- Is there anything you’d like to improve?
I would love to improve on my riding, working mostly on stud farms I haven’t really had the opportunity to ride as much as I would have liked so a job that would offer that one day would be lovely. I would also like to continue my work with mares and foals I feel working on a small farm I have been offer the hands on experience but am lacking in the numbers department when it comes to foaling.
- Why should employers consider you above any other job seeker?
I am a kind, positive team player who truly has the horses best interest with everything I do. I love working in the equine industry as it allows me to live a life style no other job could ever offer. Im hard working and always aim to please!
• What would you like to do or gain in your next job?
I am really open to anything at the moment a seasonal position doing night watches for foaling would be ideal but I’m not only looking specifically for that.
• Do you need accommodation?
As I am currently looking to do seasonal work housing would be great!
• Do you have any special requirements for any animals you wish to bring with you?
• Do you have any ongoing commitments?
• Do you have any holidays booked that an employer needs to know of?
I am looking to go back to Hong Kong to see family before the end of 2020.