- Age 35 years
- Date of Birth 31st January 1985
- Had previous paid employment within the equine industry? Locked
- Preferred Countries Ireland, The EU, Europe, United States of America, United Arab Emirates, Other
- County/State/Region Anywhere
- Job Category Full Time, Permanent
- Earliest start date 10th January 2021
- Freelance: Business Name Locked
- Freelance: Hourly Rate Locked
- Freelance: are you insured? Locked
- Notice period 4 weeks
- Best time to call Locked
- Working Couples: Partner's profile reference number Locked
- Live in or out Live in
- Co-habiting? Locked
- Full Postcode if live out (Private) Locked
- Expected Job Level Apprentice, Trainee, Groom, Part of a Team, Sole Charge, Assistant Head Person, Manager, Home Groom, Stud Groom, Stud Hand, Other
- Animals to bring to a job Locked
- Describe the animal/s you HAVE to bring to the job (if applicable) Locked
- Can drive Car
- Own car? None
- Height 5’11” / 180cm
- Approximate weight 11st / 69.9kg / 154lb
- Total years experience with horses Locked
- Previous paid/work experience Locked
- Future disciplines Artificial Insemination (AI), Foaling, Horse Transport, Rehabilitation, Stud, Training Yard/Positions, Trekking
- Riding Role? Locked
- Nationality British, Australian
- Languages spoken Locked
- Qualifications Locked
- Equine Skills Equine First Aid, Maintenance Skills, Stallion Handling, Supervisory Skills, Work with children
- Non-Equine Skills Locked
- Longest time in one job Locked
- Position held in this job Locked
- 2nd longest time in one job Locked
- Position held in this job Locked
- Upload your CV Locked
- Current passport? Locked
- DBS (formerly CRB) or equivalent Locked
- Smoker? Locked
- Image Uploads Locked
With a proven track record in hardwork, manual labor, tourism and hospitality, and over 6 years of volunteering with rescue animals in the British Virgin Islands, including equines, I believe I would be a good fit with your organisation and for this role as I aspire for a career working with equines and farming.
In 2014 I became involved with a local non-profit animal welfare organisation and began to foster dogs and puppies. In 2016, I began volunteering and riding at a local stable. I assist the farm owner muck out the stables and paddocks, lead children, groom and tack the horses and ponies, as well as mending broken fences.
In September 2017, two catastrophic category 5 hurricanes directly impacted the Territory bringing widespread devastation. In addition to helping to rebuild the rescue farm that had been destroyed, twelve Thoroughbreds had been abandoned at the racetrack on Tortola with no access to water or food. With the assistance of our local vet and overseas donations, I stepped up and began caring for the horses. With no running water I hand-delivered 5-gallon jugs, twice a day, for the 12 horses followed by the hay and feed once it arrived on island. Some horses were sick and injured requiring dressing changes, soaking hooves and taking medication. I also fixed and built fences at the racetrack and the farm, tracked down the owners of the horses and identified potential adopters. It was in the aftermath of these storms that I discovered working with horses and animals in general was my true passion.
Although I consider myself a novice rider, I have experience with looking after both healthy and sick/injured horses from race horses through to riding school ponies of varying temperaments and personal history. I am looking to build on my 16 years of experience as a yacht captain and marine engineer and to establish myself within the equestrian world.
I bring a determined and compassionate attitude with the personal resilience to deal with difficult circumstances, and customers, in a variety of situations.
I hope that my application is of interest and I look forward to hearing from you.
• What would you like to do or gain in your next job? Looking to gain experience to become a yard and estate manager.
• Do you need accommodation? Yes. Or at least initially in order to find something suitable close by.
• Do you have any special requirements for any animals you wish to bring with you? I have a large and very friendly trained dog.
• Do you have any ongoing commitments? I need to give my current employer at least 4 weeks notice
• Do you have any holidays booked that an employer needs to know of? No