- Age 23 years
- Date of Birth 22nd September 1997
- Had previous paid employment within the equine industry? Locked
- Preferred Countries United Kingdom
- County/State/Region Avon, UK, Berkshire, UK, Buckinghamshire, UK, Cambridgeshire, UK, Cheshire, UK, Cleveland, UK, Cornwall, UK, Cotswolds, Cumberland, UK, Derbyshire, UK, Devon, UK, Dorset, UK, East Anglia, East Sussex, UK, East Yorkshire, UK, Essex, UK, Gloucestershire, UK, Greater London, UK, Hampshire, UK, Herefordshire, UK, Hertfordshire, UK, Humberside, UK, Huntingdonshire, UK, Isle of Wight, UK, Kent, UK, Lancashire, UK, Leicestershire, UK, Lincolnshire, UK, London, Merseyside, UK, Middlesex, UK, Norfolk, UK, North Yorkshire, UK, Northamptonshire, UK, Northumberland, UK, Nottinghamshire, UK, Oxfordshire, UK, Rutland, UK, Scotland, UK, Shropshire, UK, Somerset, UK, Surrey, UK
- Job Category Flexible Hours, Freelance, Full Time, Part Time, Permanent, Seasonal, Short Term (Temporary)
- Earliest start date 12th January 2021
- Freelance: Business Name Locked
- Freelance: Hourly Rate Locked
- Freelance: are you insured? Locked
- Notice period No
- Best time to call Locked
- Working Couples: Partner's profile reference number Locked
- Live in or out Live in, Live out
- Co-habiting? Locked
- Full Postcode if live out (Private) Locked
- Expected Job Level Trainee, Groom, Groom/Rider, Rider, Part of a Team, Assistant Head Person, Manager, Home Groom, Competition Groom, Stud Groom, Admin/Office-based
- Animals to bring to a job Locked
- Describe the animal/s you HAVE to bring to the job (if applicable) Locked
- Can drive Car
- Own car? Car
- Height 5’2” / 157cm
- Approximate weight 8.5st / 54kg / 119lb
- Total years experience with horses Locked
- Previous paid/work experience Locked
- Future disciplines Dressage, Eventing, Family Yard, Hunting, Pony Club Activities, Retail, Sales, Showing, Show Jumping, Training Yard/Positions, Working Hunter
- Riding Role? Locked
- Nationality British
- Languages spoken Locked
- Qualifications Locked
- Equine Skills Clip, Compete, Exercise/Hack Out, Lunging, Muck Out, Pull Mane/Tail, Ride, Rider/Trainer, Sales Preparation, School, Show Turnout, Sole charge, Stallion Handling, Supervisory Skills, Trim, Work Rider
- Non-Equine Skills Locked
- Longest time in one job Locked
- Position held in this job Locked
- 2nd longest time in one job Locked
- Position held in this job Locked
- Upload your CV Locked
- Current passport? Locked
- DBS (formerly CRB) or equivalent Locked
- Smoker? Locked
- Image Uploads Locked
Experience with Horses
My professional experience with horses includes:
- Work experience at New Forest Pony Stud, The Wayland Stud when I was 16 years old. Here was my first experience of handling stallions and breaking-in young horses.
- Yard cover at a Show Jumping yard whilst the owner was away. This job included sole charge of a 7 horse yard, mucking out, turning out, exercising, lunging etc.
- Full-position as Groom/Rider at New Forest Pony Stud, The Farriers Stud. I started working at The Farriers Stud part-time whilst I was at University. Once I had graduated in 2019, this became a full-time role. The job included all general yard duties, as well as the riding/exercising of young ponies and stallions. I also rode the ponies competitively in the ring at county and national level shows.
- Currently working part-time at a 4 horse dressage yard. Includes all normal yard duties as well as grooming away at shows.
Personally, I have grown up with ponies as I was born into a ‘horsey’ family. I joined the Wilton Hunt Pony Club when I was 12 years-old and competed in Area Eventing at Novice level. I also regularly competed at local unaffiliated shows (show jumping, hunter trials, showing etc), hunted with The Wilton Hunt and was a regular member of the Inter-Hunt Relay team, competing as shows such as Dorset County Show and Barbury International Horse Trials.
Non-horse skills include:
- BA (Hons) English Language and Applied Linguistics Degree, 2:1 grade. The University of Reading.
- A-Levels: English Language, Business Studies, Sociology.
- GCSEs: 7 GCSEs passed between A-C grade.
- High level of English competency, both spoken and written. This means that I am able to communicate effectively and adjust to almost any situation. In my previous yard job I produced the advertisments for any pony we had for sale as well as dealing with the customer queries and booking in the viewings.
- Many years experience with Digital Media/Social Media. Having been on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter for 10+ years, I have a high level of familiarity with how these sites/platforms work. This includes which demographic is best suited to which platform, how linguistically they are all different, where photos are most/least effective, along with how to market products over which platform (such as Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok etc).
- IT Functional Skills Qualification.
What are you particularly good at? For example: working alone, working with others, clipping, plaiting, turning out for shows, handling stallions, handling/riding young horses, non-equine skills etc
Particular equine skills I have:
- More than happy to work either alone/or with people.
- Have many years experience handling/dealing with stallions.
- Happy to work with young/inexperienced horses on the ground as well as riding.
- I am very capable of showing at a high level. I am familiar with ring craft and how to present a Native Pony appropriately for the ring.
Non- equine skills I have:
- Good communcator with people.
- High level of competency across both written and spoken modes of English.
- Very familiar with different forms of online/social media.
- IT Qualification (includes Microsoft Office, Word, PowerPoint etc). Also able to use Apple software with ease.
Strengths and Weaknesses
• What do you most enjoy about working with horses?
- How every day is different.
- The rewarding feeling you get when a horse progresses and learns positively.
- Competitions – even if it does not go to plan, it’s still an enjoyable day out.
• Is there anything you’d like to improve?
- Pay for grooms and yard staff needs to improve. Especially those with many years experience, who are loyal and who work hard.
• Why should employers consider you above any other job seeker?
- Not only do I have many years working within the industry, but I am motivated my passion for horses and how rewarding the job can be. There is so much to learn about horses and I am so driven to learn more, as I am well aware I certainly do not know everything!
• What would you like to do or gain in your next job?
- A job where I can learn and be trained in a new skill.
• Do you need accommodation?
- Depends on location and the type of job. I am happy to commute.
• Do you have any special requirements for any animals you wish to bring with you?
- I have my own horse. 14.2hh, 6 yr old, New Forest pony.
• Do you have any ongoing commitments?
• Do you have any holidays booked that an employer needs to know of?