Job title: Full time Groom
Salary: £17,861.78 per annum plus 4% shift allowance
Closing date: Monday 15th April 2019
We have an exciting opportunity for a Groom to join the team to help support our employees in promoting the work of the RSPCA and helping to prevent animal cruelty.
This role is fundamental to the Society that all staff remain professional and represent the RSPCA in a positive manner whilst contributing to the rehabilitation and re-homing policies and procedures.
We work to prepare previously mistreated and neglected equines for adoption. We are looking for a Groom with the confidence to work with a wide range of horses and ponies, including youngsters and those with behavioural problems. Must have experience of breaking and schooling and the ability to ride to a high standard, as well as be able to provide the daily care for all of the equines at the centre including general Yard duties. The successful applicant must be able to ride ponies from 13hh.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and proactive individual who enjoys working as part of a team and has good proven experience working with equines.
What you’ll be doing:
- Health checking and assessing horses
- Lunging, long reining backing and riding
- General yard duties whilst maintaining high standards
- Record keeping
- Meeting potential adopters
- Responsible for own Health and Safety
- NVQ level 2 or 3 in Equine care/BHS qualifications or equivalent
- In depth knowledge and experience of equine care and husbandry
- Some backing schooling/rehabilitation experience, preferably with problem equines
- Good communication skills
- Good literacy skills
- Be a good team player
What’s in it for you:
You’ll have an opportunity to work for the largest animal welfare charity in England and Wales.
We value and recognise our employees’ contribution and are proud to offer an extensive benefits package that includes:
35 hours standard working week, 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays increasing to 30 days with service; a generous pension scheme with associated life assurance and group income protection scheme; access to private healthcare scheme; support for professional development after qualifying period and access to our employee assistance programme. We also offer free parking on site.
How to apply:
An application form and job description can be downloaded from this web page.
We do not accept CVs without a fully completed application form.
Please send your completed application form to the appropriate address in the employers contact section, quoting reference G2979, by the closing date of Monday 15th April 2019.
All online information and documents are available in alternative formats, including Braille and large font, upon request from the Resourcing team.
Equality, diversity, and inclusion are at the heart of our organisation. We seek to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all.
Ending cruelty, promoting kindness and alleviating suffering to animals.
- Earliest start date 15th April 2019
- Continent/Country United Kingdom
- Position/s available Groom
- Postcode/postcode region (if live out)
- Yard disciplines/Activities Rescue, Rehabilitation
- Riding Applicants must ride
- Required Skills Back/Break, Ride, School
- Non-equine skills required Other - see job description
- Accommodation provided None
- Salary currency GBP
- Salary guide £17,861.78 per annum plus 4% shift allowance
- Salary Period Annually
- Must Drive Car
- Pets welcome? No
- Own horse welcome? No
- Application Form (if applicable)