This role is working in a competition livery yard run by a BS Accredited Coach. The job involves all normal stable duties, the exercise of competition horses and travel to shows, some of the time.
You must have worked in the industry already and have a practical knowledge of stable management, horse health, equine first aid and the ability to ride fit powerful horses competently, hacking or in the school. Most horses are 16 -16.1 so we require a lighter weight person at this time.
It would be a good role for someone who has finished an apprenticeship and is looking for their first ‘proper’ job. Equally, we would welcome someone more experienced.
- be happy to work in a team within a structured environment,
- prepared to work efficiently with safety in mind,
- like things to be organised, clean and tidy
- have an attention to detail,
- have a keen interest in the training of horses, both ridden and on the ground.
- self-motivated, so that you can work without direct supervision, maintaining the yard routine and standards
- communicate with others
- open minded to new ideas
Our horses are treated as individuals, all our grooms must have their welfare at heart when caring for the horses.
This is a full time position 5.5 days a week 7:30 – 17:30. You will be expected to groom for up to five horses.
You will work alongside two other full-time grooms, who are hard working, love horses and are easy to get along with.
The yard is easy to work, the stables are indoor, all with automatic drinkers and shavings beds, and sit on a concrete yard, so no mud.
The paddocks are around the stables and yard, all accessed via hard standing, giving easy access. The muck trailer is at the end at the yard, with a purpose built ramp and is taken away via tractor.
We have an indoor school, horse walker and lunge pen.
The accommodation is a modern brick built bungalow. Each groom has their own bedroom with an ensuite shower room. There is a shared open plan kitchen and sitting room. All furnished.
It is fully heated by built in electric radiators.
The kitchen has a full cooker, fridge, freezer and microwave.
Within the yard there is a washing machine and tumble dryer.
All cleaning products, washing powder and toilet roll – are provided.
wifi is available.
As a dedicated horse person we recognise that you may want to have your own horse.
On a regular basis we do not finish later than 17:30, however show days or vet emergencies will mean longer days. Having your own horse at a different location then becomes a conflict and can be very tiring. We also recognise that if you are committed to your horse it makes being committed to the horses here more of a challenge.
Therefore we can offer the right candidate the opportunity to have a horse on Staff Livery. The groom starts 30 minutes before the normal work day, so they can tend to their horse and make up some of the time that they will spend on the horse within the day. The horse can be worked and groomed within the working day in the same way the other horses on the yard are. One day a week the horse will be done for the the groom, so that they can have a horse free day off.
- Earliest start date 16th August 2021
- Continent/Country United Kingdom
- Position/s available Apprentice, Groom, Groom/Rider
- Yard disciplines/Activities Livery, Showjumping
- Riding Applicants must ride
- Required Skills Bandage, Equine First Aid, Exercise/Hack Out, Muck Out
- Non-equine skills required None
- Accommodation provided Shared with other employee
- Days per week 5.5
- Salary currency £
- Salary guide NMW & accommodation available
- Salary Period Monthly
- Must Drive Not Applicable
- Must have own car? No
- Pets welcome? No
- Own horse welcome? Yes