Job title: Equine Groom
Location: Gonsal Farm Equine Centre, SY5
Salary: circa £18,000 + 4% Shift Allowance
Closing date: 7th October 2020 10am
We have an exciting opportunity for a Groom to join the RSPCA Gonsal Farm Equine Centre to help support our employees in promoting the work of the RSPCA and helping to prevent animal cruelty.
We work to prepare previously mistreated and neglected equines for adoption. We are looking for a Groom with the confidence to work with a wide range of horses and ponies, including youngsters and those with behavioural problems. Must have experience of breaking and schooling and the ability to ride to a high standard, as well as be able to provide the daily care for all of the equines at the centre including general Yard duties. The successful applicant must be able to ride ponies from 13hh.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and proactive individual who enjoys working as part of a team and has good proven experience working with equines.
What you’ll be doing as an RSPCA Equine Groom:
- Health checking and assessing horses
- Lunging, long reining backing and riding
- General yard duties whilst maintaining high standards
- Record keeping
- Meeting potential adopters
- Responsible for own Health and Safety
- NVQ level 2 or 3 in Equine care/BHS qualifications or equivalent
- In depth knowledge and experience of equine care and husbandry
- Some backing schooling/rehabilitation experience, preferably with problem equines
- Good communication skills
- Good literacy skills
- Excellent team player skills
What’s in it for you:
You’ll have an opportunity to work for the largest animal welfare charity in England and Wales.
We value and recognise our employees’ contribution and are proud to offer an extensive benefits package that includes:
35 hours standard working week, 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays increasing to 30 days with service; a generous pension scheme with associated life assurance and group income protection scheme; access to private healthcare scheme; support for professional development after qualifying period and access to our employee assistance programme. We also offer free parking on site.
How to apply:
Please visit the RSPCA jobs page to download an application form and full job description.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy when sufficient applications are received.
All online information and documents are available in alternative formats, including Braille and large font, upon request from the Resourcing team.
Equality, diversity, and inclusion are at the heart of our organisation. We seek to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all.
Ending cruelty, promoting kindness and alleviating suffering to animals.
- Earliest start date 26th October 2020
- Continent/Country United Kingdom
- Position/s available Groom
- Yard disciplines/Activities Rescue, Rehabilitation
- Riding Applicants must ride
- Required Skills Back/Break, Long Rein, Lunging, Muck Out, Ride, School
- Non-equine skills required None
- Accommodation provided None
- Salary currency £
- Salary guide circa £18,000
- Salary Period Annually
- Must have own car? No
- Pets welcome? No
- Own horse welcome? No