JOB PURPOSE: To facilitate therapeutic horsemanship activities, coach riding lessons, take out trail rides, run Pony Club activities and camps. Supervise the yard team and oversee with the training and day to day care of the horses. Other duties include assisting with the day to day operations of the equestrian centre.
HOURS: Will vary to suit the needs of the business, daytime, evening and weekend work required. Saturday morning Pony Club sessions are an essential part of the role. We will consider more than one coach on a job share basis.
PAY: This position starts at £20,000 to £25,000 per annum depending on qualifications and experience. The job and salary have the potential to develop to meet the needs of our growing business.
• To coach riding and therapeutic horsemanship sessions for clients taking a horse centred approach, including mainstream and therapeutic participants. Creating lesson plans and activities.
• To take the lead with running the Pony Club and associated activities, planning and managing Pony Club sessions, managing badge and rider achievements and planning camp activities.
• Managing exercising and training the horses.
• Supervising the yard team, daily activities and general yard duties and assisting with caring for horses where required.
• Daily yard administration duties
• To provide a safe and secure environment, treating each participant and horse / pony with equal
• To assist with developing therapeutic horsemanship sessions and programmes
• To work on your own initiative and as part of a team with a flexible and creative approach
• To be available to take part in fund-raising activities and attend monthly staff meetings as
• To assist with camps and run camp activities
• Agree and adhere to all the organisation’s adopted policies, principles and aims
• To work in line with our safeguarding policies and procedures
• To supervise and work alongside project volunteers where appropriate
This list of responsibilities is not exhaustive, and the employee may be required to perform duties outside of this as operationally required and at the discretion of their Line Manager.
• Equestrian Coaching qualification at BHS stage 3 level, UKCC level 2 or appropriate degree (or working towards this)
• EFL or EAL training or qualification (or working towards this)
• A horse-centered approach to coaching focusing on teaching kind horsemanship
• The ability to coach progressive riding at a gentle and correct pace for each participant
• Experience of riding, training and working with horses including sole charge
• Genuine desire to work in a community equestrian centre, and assist the business to develop
• Understanding of the need to coach responsible and kind horsemanship at grass roots level
• Energy and enthusiasm
• Perceptive and responsive nature
• Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
• Excellent communication and organisation skills
• Genuine interest in Therapeutic Horsemanship
• Effective and considerate equestrian handling skills
• This position requires an enhanced DBS check
• Experience of working in an equestrian centre
• Experience of working with disabled and/or disadvantaged people • Experience of training horses
• Horse centered / classical approach to training / coaching
Ideally we are looking to recruit someone with a UKCC or BHS coaching qualification, relevant degree or therapeutic horsemanship / EFL qualification.
We could provide short-term accommodation, but ideally the position is live out.
Contract, holiday pay, sick pay (SSP) pension scheme, livery for own horse considered, riding and training opportunities. The role has the potential to develop into a more senior management position in time.
- Earliest start date 19th July 2021
- Continent/Country United Kingdom
- Position/s available Head Person, Riding Instructor, Other
- Yard disciplines/Activities Pony Club Activities, Riding School, Therapeutic Riding
- Riding Applicants must ride, Optional riding
- Required Skills Equine First Aid, Exercise/Hack Out, Long Rein, Lunging, Management Skills, Muck Out, Ride, Rider/Trainer, School, Sole charge, Supervisory Skills, Teach, Work with children
- Non-equine skills required Computer Skills, Management Skills, Supervisory Skills
- Accommodation provided Single
- Days per week 5
- Salary currency Pounds
- Salary guide £20,000 to £25,000 depending on qualifications and experience
- Salary Period Annually
- Must Drive Car
- Must have own car? No
- Pets welcome? Possibly
- Own horse welcome? Possibly