|Job Title:||Yard Supervisor – Live in|
|Reports to:||Animal Care Manager|
Animal Care Manager
Head of Cattery, Kennels, Large Farm and Small Farm
Senior Management Team
|Purpose of Job:
As Yard Supervisor you are responsible for the day to day care and welfare of the Equines, the supervision of staff and volunteers assigned to the Section. You will liaise closely with the Animal Care Manager and the Administration team.
Live in staff are required to carry out x1 evening duty per week, x2 every 6th week. This covers checking and shutting away all species on site in the evening. Holding site keys overnight. Self-contained single accommodation on site.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the smooth running of the Equines in accordance with the appropriate routines, rotas and instructions issued. Such duties will include, for example: feeding, grooming, health checks and the general well-being of their charges, administering treatments and medications under instruction of the Manager, maintaining a high standard of hygiene and tidiness throughout the section.
- Responsible for the supervision of staff and Volunteers assigned to the Equines.
- Responsible for the Health, Safety and Security of the Equines.
- Promote and foster the Sanctuary’s reputation and standing within the community.
- Ensure administration and records are kept in an accurate and timely manner
- To be able to assist with demonstrations/clinics confidently and knowledgably,
- To accurately assess the condition of equines and report to the Manager in a timely manner.
- Identify and treat common ailments under guidance of Animal Care Manager.
- Recognise and deal with horse health emergencies
- Have a thorough understanding of isolation procedures.
- To have input in the continuous development of the Equine section for the benefit of Equines.
- To show a comprehensive and varied skills base of groundwork, riding, backing and training including the use of learning theory, shaping plans and non- aversive training methods for a variety of horses as and when appropriate.
- To assess the level of fitness and nutritional requirements for ridden/non -ridden equines.
- To manage and develop varied exercise/training programmes for all equines with
the potential of being re-homed.
- To match equines with suitable staff to enable correct, effective and safe
handling of the equines with agreement of the Animal Care Manager.
- To assist with matching to the appropriate Guardian.
- To be involved with the conducting of borrower trials and pre home checks.
- To be able to manage sensitive situations with professionalism and integrity.
- To perform other tasks as instructed by the Manager e.g. land management, keeping Equine and buildings tidy, simple maintenance tasks, dealing with the general public, office duties, driving errands (after production of a valid, clean driving licence).
- To contribute to continued enrichment plans for the equines.
- Small horsebox driving.
- Have a full respect for all buildings, equipment and vehicles owned by the Sanctuary and be familiar with all aspects of health and safety at work, including fire regulations.
- Contribute to the development and enrichment of animal care.
- Promote good relations with the general public.
- Contribute to Animal Care meetings, to enable the identification and resolution of operational issues.
- Contribute towards the desired climate and wellbeing of employees working and living at the Sanctuary.
The Sanctuary reserves the right to vary or amend the duties and responsibilities of the post-holder at any time according to its needs.
Job Descriptions only reflect 80% of a role and are not an exhaustive list of duties. You will be expected to carry out other activities that are within the scope of the role.
- Earliest start date 1st September 2022
- Continent/Country United Kingdom
- Position/s available Head Person
- Yard disciplines/Activities Rescue
- Riding Applicants must ride
- Required Skills Back/Break, Bandage, Clip, Equine First Aid, Exercise/Hack Out, Long Rein, Lunging, Muck Out, Ride, School, Supervisory Skills
- Non-equine skills required Supervisory Skills
- Accommodation provided Single
- Days per week 5
- Salary currency Sterling
- Salary guide £9.62 per hour
- Salary Period Monthly
- Must have own car? Yes
- Pets welcome? Yes
- Own horse welcome? No
- Smoking allowed? No