HELP! Why can’t I fill my equine job vacancy?!
Sometimes your recruitment drive gets stuck in a rut and needs a shove in the right direction to get things moving and pick up the momentum needed to fill an equine job vacancy. This is where The Grooms List by Caroline Carter Recruitment can help. The Grooms List is the No.1 equestrian recruitment agency, and little wonder with over 20 years experience in FILLING EQUINE JOBS at your disposal when you subscribe to one of our recruitment packages; either our DIY website package or our bespoke equine recruitment services.
This article is written specifically for employers using a DIY website recruiting route who, sometimes, can find themselves at an impasse finding suitable candidates and receiving applicants from appropriate job seekers.
Where has it all gone wrong?
1. Look again at your job vacancy advert…
Are you ‘selling’ your vacancy or just putting together a list of ‘demands’?
Is your advert attractive or off-putting? Seriously, have you simply “mind-dumped” your requirements or wish-list without considering what a prospective employee would be interested in seeing? Is it simply a list of “must-do’s” and “must-have’s”? Does it really present a balance between your requirements versus what you can offer, for example, the lifestyle the candidate will be living as your employee? The prospective employee is going to be spending the greater proportion of their daily life at your yard (especially if they live in), so it’s in your interests to ensure that it sounds like an inviting, nice place to be!
Read more about writing an effective job vacancy advert here.
Is your job competitive?
Ask yourself, why should the best job seekers want your job above all the others? A good candidate will find your job less attractive if they can take someone else’s job with better remuneration and/or greater benefits, for example, a 5 day week, the freedom to bring a horse or dog, the opportunity to ride, or gain qualifications…
Caroline talks in more depth about making your job vacancy and corresponding advert competitive in her article How to Recruit an Everyday Super Groom here. It’s an interesting read from a seasoned equine recruiter!
If you’re not sure how to make your vacancy more attractive then contact us! We’re experienced at this – we know things you possibly won’t even think of and have many employers who return to us as when they need to simply because we have provided ‘pointers’ in this regard! 🙂
Have you added some photos?
Again, your yard is your prospective employee’s future home/second home (whether live in or out!) so give job seekers a little insight to where they would be working and living (if applicable).
Have you “featured” your job vacancy on The Grooms List?
Are you trying to fill an equine job vacancy for a specific type of employee? Do you want to cast your net as wide as possible?
From as little as £12 inc VAT your vacancy will appear on our homepage and on featured spots on various pages and articles on The Grooms List website. Plus it will also give your vacancy extended targeted coverage via our social media channels, giving you a reach of well over 50,000 potential candidates (March 2019).
You can upgrade your vacancy to a featured job at any time throughout your subscription here.
2. Review your recruiting activity
Are you doing your bit?
Not all job seekers are out of work or have time on their hands to regularly search and apply for jobs, or contact potential employers!
Many, if not most, are busy in their current jobs and working for long hours each day and, arguably, are often less desperate for your job than you are for a groom! Therefore it’s important to make time to search The Grooms List for possible candidates, and, if you think any might be suitable for your vacancy, call them! Text them! Email them! Send them a private message on The Grooms List! Do all of this! Let them know you are interested in speaking to them! We have filled many jobs over the years with job seekers who many employers would have disregarded simply because they didn’t respond quickly enough to a single call or email. You can make a substantial difference to this outcome just by calling at random times eg: early evening, weekends etc. and contacting via a variety of routes rather than just one. “Why should I? If they were interested they would get back to me!” we hear you say… Not so! That was then and this is now; it’s what it takes these days. If you are really having difficulty contacting a job seeker on The Grooms List get in touch with us! and we will do our bit to help. We will investigate to find out why and take a tough line with time-wasters.
Need help using the search filters on The Grooms List? Contact us for advice – we can even send you a preset search link to help you drill down to the candidate’s who are most likely to be suitable for your job vacancy. In fact, you don’t even need a subscription for us to do this – we can still give you a custom link, you just won’t see full Jobseekers Profiles and contact details. We’re happy to offer “try before you buy!”
Whether you’re a subscribed employer or not, search and filter job seekers on The Grooms List here any time. Watch our How-To video on using the search and filter facility on The Grooms List here. 🙂
Are you making assumptions on candidates’ behalf?
A big mistake recruiting employers make when filling an equine job vacancy is to assume certain things about job seekers without finding out facts.
The number one example of this is a candidate’s start date – the “earliest start date” is exactly that – their earliest start date, not their only start date! A considerable number of employers miss out on their ideal employee because they have noted the candidate’s start date is 6 weeks past, assume they must have a job now and disregard them (sometimes even when the candidate has just applied for their job!) Never, ever do this! If a candidate is visible on The Grooms List, contact them! Even if their start date is 6 months past!
As stated in point 2, a good number of job seekers will already be in work and maybe casually keeping an eye out for a new opportunity to move onto or step up to. If you think the opportunity they’re looking for could be your job vacancy, ignore their start date, find out for sure by contacting them and drawing their attention to your job vacancy.
Sounds counter-intuitive but… don’t be too discerning when reviewing Jobseekers Profiles – In our experience, a lot of job seekers don’t help themselves when completing their profile or writing a CV. Don’t miss out, make time to engage with job seekers and find out the facts before disregarding them or rejecting their application. More often than not it will pay off! If a candidate’s profile mostly matches your requirements it’s worthwhile engaging with the candidate regarding your vacancy (and especially if they’ve applied for your job!). There have been numerous occasions where the appointed candidate’s Jobseekers Profile doesn’t align with the requirements of the job they end up happily taking, and often staying a long time in!
Make use of an equine recruitment agency like The Grooms List
Social media may appear to present a wealth of opportunity to recruiting employers but, in reality, this can be an absolute minefield, fraught with problems and pitfalls. Also, unless you are a social media whizz who can deftly target your social media posts at a relevant audience, advertising on social media can waste a fair bit of your recruiting time. The Grooms List by Caroline Carter Recruitment has the largest social media coverage of any equestrian recruitment agency (August 2019) with a following of well over 60,000 potential candidates, which is extended at least threefold if you choose to feature your job vacancy on The Grooms List. Furthermore, you have direct access to:
- A database of current equine job seekers, not just avid horse lovers browsing posts in their leisure time.
- The facilities to construct an effective job vacancy advert that is targeted directly to current equine job seekers.
- The benefit of social media channels that are 100% targeted
- Knowledgeable, professional equine recruiters who know things you may not even think of to help you find your perfect candidate! The Grooms List by Caroline Carter Recruitment has the most knowledgeable, experienced recruiters in the equine industry today and are available to you, along with a modern, user-friendly equine recruitment website from just £60 including VAT.
Read more on why you should use an equine recruitment agency here.
Don’t advertise everywhere!
By placing your job with every equine recruitment company, despite how it might feel, you really aren’t covering all your bases – it can give potential candidates the impression that you are struggling to fill your vacancy or that you have a high turnover of staff (we know, they tell us this!), whilst simultaneously wasting your time and money.
By subscribing to The Grooms List you are accessing the largest audience of genuine, current job seekers in the UK via our database and social media platforms. We value your custom and are all about repeat custom in the future so, uniquely, we work hard for your subscription. See our testimonials here.
Make sure you’re using the facilities available to you…
Don’t let things drift
You’d be surprised at the number of busy employers who take out a subscription on a recruitment website, turn around three times and find that their subscription has expired! Buy a subscription when you are ready to recruit in earnest, then ensure you log into The Grooms List website regularly.
- Add a job vacancy advert as soon as possible! We advertise all jobs on our social media channels, so it’s imperative that you add a job vacancy advert so we, our job seekers and everyone on social media know to apply to you/contact you about your job vacancy! We check all job vacancy adverts before they are published. This protects you from inadvertently stumbling into difficult territory with anti-discrimination laws and employment laws (such as legal salary packages or providing accommodation for an employee or their horse). Read more on writing an effective job vacancy advert here.
- Feature your job vacancy to broaden your audience to well over 60,000 (August 2019) potential candidates
- Regularly check your applications
- Regularly check your Private Messages
- Regularly search the latest candidates who have joined The Grooms List since your last visit
- The Grooms List website works on any device so you can keep up with your recruitment drive from anywhere that you have an internet connection.
Reply to ALL applications
Even the unsuitable ones – no one likes to be left hanging!
- Let good candidates know that you’d like speak to them by approving their application on The Grooms List. Yours won’t be the only job they’ll have applied for, and you could easily miss out if another employer has engaged with them before you do.
- Let unsuccessful applicants know that your job is not for them – this time. They’ve taken the time to read your job vacancy advert and apply to you – it’s only fair that you let them know that they need to keep looking. Do bear in mind that an applicant who is too inexperienced for your yard now could be your perfect employee a year or more down the line, so it’s worthwhile politely letting the candidate know that on this occasion their application has not been successful, rather than simply let them slowly draw the conclusion that you’re not interested to speak to them as time passes and you don’t reply to their application.
- We appreciate that it can be difficult to know what to say, especially when rejecting a candidate’s application, therefore we have created editable preset replies for you to use to quickly go through your applicants letting candidates know if their application has been successful or not. Remember, either way it is in your interest to respond to your applicants.
Get professional advice
Through The Grooms List, a wealth of valuable equine recruitment knowledge and experience is only a phone call, email or social media message away – make use of that!
- Make use of the Employers Zone on The Grooms List. From there, you can access everything you need to navigate The Grooms List website, read advice and information about each stage of the recruitment process, and watch How-To videos to help you get the best out of The Grooms List website. Visit the Employers Zone here.
- The Grooms List has an ever-growing catalogue of articles offering recruiting employers information and advice on the recruiting process – have a browse through them here and benefit from key advice on finding, employing and retaining your Super Grooms!
- Contact us if you would like to have a chat about your vacancy and requirements, or you would like any tips on getting the best out of your subscription to The Grooms List website.
But it’s all so time-consuming!
Don’t have time for all this? Ask yourself how much money you have spent trying to fill an equine job vacancy, renewing various website subscriptions over the last few weeks or months – years, even?! Add up how long you’ve spent chasing unsuitable candidates. Time = money, so you can’t afford to let your website subscription pass without using the services you’ve paid for.
- Get ahead by reading our advice on writing your job vacancy advert here.
- Contact us: to discuss your job vacancy advert.
- Contact us: to discuss any candidates, whether they’re in your applicant’s list or a search results list. We can even provide you with a custom link to a list of candidates that match your requirement. Just tell us your requirements and we’ll do it.
- Be assured that you’re adhering to employment law – read our articles on equine recruitment and employment here.
Need more help? Do contact us and discuss our Assisted and Bespoke services – it may be cheaper than you think!
Do feel free to contact Caroline for a professional, impartial, no-obligation chat here.
Key facilities on The Grooms List
Find everything you need in one place on the Employers Zone here.
Advertise your job vacancy here.
Edit your job vacancy here.
Feature your Job Vacancy here.
Manage your applications here.
Search candidates on The Grooms List here.
Your Private Messages here.
Manage your subscription here.
We want you to get the best out of your subscription to The Grooms List so if you would like any assistance using the website, or would like have a chat about your requirements, please do get in touch, we’ll be happy to help you! 0203 006 5730 / email@example.com